Friday, January 29, 2010

Obsessions

Alysa

Every Friday Brian stops at the gas station and picks up a copy of the Las Vegas Weekly - a free publication for locals highlighting community politics, events, concerts, etc. Of course, the magazine is also loaded with advertisements for all the Vegas night clubs, most of which feature a picture of a hot girl in a bikini. Every time Brian brings one of these home, we get to hear a weekend long rant from Alysa telling us how those girls in bikinis are disrespecting their bodies. While all three of my girls are overly conscientious about modesty, Alysa is borderline obsessive about it. Tonight, however, I got a really good laugh when I walked down stairs and saw her intently coloring at the table. I went over to see what it was she was so absorbed in, because Alysa is rarely able to focus on one thing for more than ten seconds. She had the Las Vegas Weekly open in front of her, and was coloring clothes on all the bikini girls because she "just couldn't stand to look at these half naked girls all weekend". I don't know if I have ever laughed so hard in my life! Way to go Captain Modesty! Here's to hoping she has that same attitude when she is a teenager!!!

Adalyn

At the beginning of the school year, Ady's GATE (gifted and talented) class learned about Ivy League Colleges. And so, began her obsession with Harvard. She has decided that Harvard is the ONLY college for her. I explained to her that Harvard is an incredibly hard school to get into, and that it is incredibly expensive. I explained that she would not get accepted with anything less than straight A's. Then I added that if she REALLY wanted to go there, I would do whatever I had to to make it possible but, she would have to save her money and help out as much as she could. I really was expecting the whole thing to blow over in a few days. No, it hasn't. Five months later, she has saved up $25 from her Birthday and Christmas money (she did allow herself a little "fun" money) to go toward her Harvard education fund and spends at least 45 minutes a night studying so that she can be sure to get straight A's - even if she doesn't have any homework. What can I say? The girl is extremely motivated. Knowing her, she will take my promise to the extreme, pursue a double doctorate degree, and put me $200,000 in debt. But, I'm not complaining. I could be dealing with much bigger issues than her getting annoyed with me for interrupting her study time.

Brylee

Brylee has some big plans for her future. The other two girls are dead set on becoming teachers (yes, Ady wants a Harvard degree to be a 3rd grade teacher), but Brylee has a much different goal. She wants to be a ballerina, marry a doctor, and have six babies. She makes it very clear that she wants to marry a doctor because he will be able to take good care of her babies, especially while she is working (as a ballerina). I'm not sure how being a career ballerina after having six kids will work out for her, but I am all for the doctor marriage!

2 comments:

Me said...

Haha!!! This post made me giggle...Thanks for sharing!

Steven and Tanesha said...

Your girls sound hilarious! Six kids huh? I hope she has a lot of patience!