Friday, January 29, 2010

New Year's Eve

This year, we had all six kids at our house, over New Year's so we told them that they could have their own New Year's Eve party at home. I though it would be fun if they chose a bunch of movies, got some snacks & pop, we could heat the pool so they could go swimming, and they could bang pots and pans and light sparklers at midnight.

First I asked them what kind of snacks they wanted. Taylor said, "Steak". Michael said, "Lobster". I was expecting something more along the lines of popcorn and m&m's. I am pretty sure that I did ask them what snacks they wanted. Needless to say, they didn't get steak & lobster. They got popcorn, candy, pop, chips & dip.

Next, I asked them what movies they wanted. Their top two choices were, Drag Me To Hell and the Inglorious Basterds. Apparently, we have two completely different lines of thinking. I said, "No way!" They brought out their favorite argument: "but our mom would let us watch it!" I wasn't buying. So, I told them I was going to send their mom an email asking her. They were adamant that she would be completely fine with those two movies, until I hit the send button on the email. The second they saw that I wasn't bluffing and I really did send their mom an email, their story changed. We ended up getting, G-Force, Up, District 9, and Year One.

Brian and I must be getting really old. We ended up falling asleep WAY before midnight. The kids stayed up and watched their movies, but were disappointed that they didn't get to light sparklers. So we did it the next night.

It wasn't a really exciting night, but I was happy with that. I am just grateful to spend time with all the kids before they all get to be teenagers and are too cool to hang out with their parents!






No comments: