Friday, July 24, 2009

Review: Night

I know that I have posted a lot of book reviews lately. There will be more to follow. But bare with me. This is how I operate. I am on a "book bender". I do this all the time. I get insomnia. So I will, most likely, read 10 novels in two weeks. Then it will die off. On top of that, I am trying to catch up with my goal. Just hang in there, I promise that all my posts will not be about books.

Night - A
Elie Wiesel
synopsis:

Night, is the autobiography of Eli Wiesel, who as a Jew during WWII - only fifteen years old - was sent to Auschwitz and then Buchenwald concentration camps. It is his personal story of what happened during this time.

This book, by far, had the biggest emotional impact on me than any book I have ever read. It was only 122 pages. But it is 122 pages that I will remember for the rest of my life. I told Brian, that he has to read this book. He replied, "I don't read." Okay, that may be true. But this is the book for non - readers. There are no flowery descriptions. This book is short and to the point.

It is history. This happened. It is not made up fairy tale, it is real. For that reason, I think that everyone should be required to read it. We need to know what we, as humans, are capable of. On both ends.

This is a MUST read. But reader beware... prepare yourself. There are no graphic descriptions. But sometimes it is worse when people state horrible things as a fact, without a hint of emotion, because... well, that is just the way things were.

I hope - I pray - that I will never have to live through, or witness, something similar to this. I am left shocked at the horrible things humans are capable of. And the horrible circumstances that people can live through.
This book is on the top 1001 books to read before you die, and the best 100 of the century, as well as the Oprah book club. Elie Wiesel won the Nobel Peace Prize for this book.

If you read nothing else your entire life, read this book.

1 comment:

Mariah said...

I agree that book makes a huge impact on anyone who reads it.