Monday, July 20, 2009

Books!

At the first of the year, I set a goal of reading 24 books this year - 2 a month (I got the idea from Rhonda Sherratt). I haven't kept up with my goal, and I also starting losing track of what I have read. So I am posting it here so that I can keep track and catch up!

Also, I don't like wasting my time or money on bad books, so I research what I want to read next pretty extensively. Recommendations are welcome! Here are a couple of websites that I like to use when looking for books (in case anyone is interested):

Time Magazine All Time 100 Novels
http://www.time.com/time/2005/100books/the_complete_list.html

1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die
http://www.listology.com/list/1001-books-you-must-read-you-die

ALA Most Frequently Challenged Books
http://www.ala.org/

Interestingly enough, many of the books on the ALA website are also on the Top 100 and 1001 Books website.

Books I've Read in 2009
(I've rated each one these with a grade A, B, C, or D)

1. The Host - Stephenie Meyer - C
2. The Stand (uncut version) - Stephen King (although I think this should count as three books since it is almost 1200 pages long!) - A
3. Harris and Me (reread) - Gary Paulsen - A
4. About a Boy - Nick Hornby - B
5. To Kill a Mocking Bird (reread) - Harper Lee - A
6. Interview with the Vampire - Anne Rice - C
7. Stolen Innocence - Elissa Wall - B
8. Angels and Demons - Dan Brown - B
9. Oryx and Crake - Margaret Atwood - B
10. My Sister's Keeper - Jodi Picoult - B
11. Never Let Me Go - Kazuo Ishiguro - A
12. Franny and Zooey - J.D. Salinger - A
13. Night - Elie Wiesel - A
14. Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov - A
15. Wintergirls - Laurie Halse Anderson - B

Books I Want To Read

The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins
The Satanic Verses - Salman Rushdie (currently reading)
A Long Way Down - Nick Hornby
Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters and Seymour: an Introduction - J.D. Salinger
Girl Interrupted - Susanna Kaysen
Just One Wish - Janette Rallison
When the Whistle Blows - Fran Cannon Slayton
If I Stay - Gayle Forman
Playing with the Enemy - Gary W. Moore
The Knitting Circle - Ann Hood

Some of my Favorites

The Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger
To Kill a Mocking Bird - Harper Lee
Harris and Me - Gary Paulsen
The Bridge to Teribithia - Katherine Patterson
The Outsiders - S.E. Hinton
Because of Winn Dixie - Kate DiCamillo
Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury

4 comments:

Rhonda S. said...

Hey you are doing better then me, I've only read 3!

Here are a few of my favs
Da Vinci Code
Time Travelers Wife
Where the Heart Is
Lovely Bones
and I have several others that I just can't think of right now!

Shayla D. said...

Goodness! I'm impressed with your goal to do all that reading. I have a hard time finding the time to read, but I love to. Keep us posted with your reads. I always like to hear others' opinions before I read something new.

Merri Lynn said...

Sounds like a great goal! I think I will do that, too. The only catch is that I think I will be reading picture books! I should be able to get 2 of those in a month! I think you should rate the books that you have read on a scale from 1 - 10 so we will all know if they were REALLY good or just so-so. I am reading "My Sisters Keeper" now then I want to see the movie. Keep me posted!

Unknown said...

You HAVE to read Hunger Games- there is a sequel coming out in September and I guarantee that you will love it, I wasn't able to put it down. Sooooo good.