
Never Let Me Go - A
Kazuo Ishiguro
Synopsis:
(From Amazon.com)
"All children should believe that they are special. But the students at Hailsham, an elite school in the English countryside, are so special that visitors shun them, and only by rumor and the ocassional fleeting remark by a teacher do they discover their unconventional origins and strange destiny."
This book was very easy to read, moved at a steady pace, and was well written. I read the whole thing (288 pages) in one day. It is one of those books, that is frustrating because you have to wait until the very end for everything to tie together. It's very hard to critique without ruining it for those who have not read it.
It bothered me at first that the main character didn't show more emotion about her situation. But after thinking about it, I realized that her emotionless narration was very purposeful. I think that the author wanted to portray her as resigned to the facts of the matter.
For me, the book brings up some interesting questions, like: "What is the definition of a human life?" and "At what cost do you save a human life?".
Never Let Me Go, is at the top of the 1001 books to read before you die list and on the Best 100 of the century list. I think, that is enough of a reason to read the book.
If anyone has read, or does read this book in the future. Let me know what you think!













1 comment:
Okay, so where did all of these books come from? Did you check them out from the library or did you buy them? Maybe we should all put $20 in a pot and buy books and pass them around! I could save a bundle on overdue fees. (Can you believe a librarian would run up over due fees???)
Also, I could just clean out my book closet and list what I have in case you want to borrow them. A lot of what I have are LDS Fiction, though! I have a set of three that my sister has been trying to get me to read for ever, but I haven't quite got them done. They are basically about the signs of the times...
As for kids books, I have a grundle that I would let you take and read before I put them on the shelf! Sometimes it is good to get an opinion before I circulate some of what I "pick up" to elementary school age children!
By the way, I want to read the Holocaust story. Bring it up if it is yours!
Post a Comment