First of all, I have to say that this is my first post using my new laptop! Brian and I each got new mini laptops - mine is red to match my phone and camera, and his is blue. I thought that I wouldn't really like the mini ones because the screen is so small, but the opposite is true. I LOVE it, because it is so small and lightweight, I can pack it anywhere!
Now, knowing Brian, I am sure that you all will not be surprised to know that there is a story behind our new laptops. lol! We got them for free - okay well not "free" - he traded work for them. Since Brian owns his own business, we often get people who are willing to trade work with Brian. Well, a couple of nights ago he had a guy who wanted a water softener put in. He already had the water softener - he just needed it put in. Well, apparently this guy has an ebay business of the side. He buys computers at wholesale prices, and overstocked computers, or computers that customers send back (which he then fixes) and sells them. So, anyway, he traded Brian two new acer aspire one (they are very cheap basic computers) for Brian's plumbing services (which was also very easy and basic). We could have used the money instead of the computers, but work is so slow right now, that we take what we can get!!! Luckily, Brian just picked up a good contract, that should last a while, so hopefully it will help us recover a little bit financially!
Mike (Brian's brother) gave us an linksys wireless router - an extra one that he had - several months ago, so that when he stayed with us, while working in Vegas, he could use our Internet. That has worked out great for us, because we are able to get Internet on our laptops now at now extra cost. I LOVE being able to sit outside and play on facebook or farmtown or type a blog post while watching the kids swim outside.
In other news, Ady and Aly got haircuts yesterday. They swim outside in the pool probably two or three times a day. It destroyed their hair. Last time tha t I got a trim they recommended a good clarifying shampoo. Which I bought, and it helped a little. But with the heat and the pool, their hair was destroyed. So we cut it off. They now have cute chin length bobs. Ady loves hers, and Alysa is not quite sure. I figure it is hair, and it grows back, and it is low maintenance for me, so I love it!
Also, Brian picked up Taylor and Michael today. We have had Austin for the entire summer. We are excited to have them with us again! Things are much more entertaining with them here! But they are leaving on Saturday. I wish that we could keep them longer, but Ady, my mom, and I are flying to Kansas to see Maren.
We are excited! We are flying to Kansas City, MO and driving that night to Nauvoo, IL. We are spending two days in Nauvoo, then we are driving back to Forty Riley, KS to and staying in Maren and Matt's new apartment.
It will be Ady's first time flying (this trip is her birthday present from Grandma James and I). She is nervous but also excited! I had to look up some pictures of the plane (which is very small) and explain the whole process to her several times already.
It sucks that Maren's husband Matt is military, because that means they will pretty much always live far away. But the positive side is that it is giving my kids a great opportunity to travel. Matt's military contract will be up next summer, and he and Maren have already agreed that he will re-sign for another 3 years. He gets to put his preference of places to be transferred to on his contract. They have decided Hawaii. I will be super excited if it is Hawaii. Since we have been, the kids have been saying how they want to go. Well, if Maren moves there, the only way that we would ever be able to take them - because the only major cost would be airfare, which Maren could get us a military discount on. IF the recession comes to an end and we are able to save some money up. That's a big IF!
Anyway, sorry for rambling. I am excited to go on a vacation! Brian has been home WAY to much lately. I am excited to go to Nauvoo and Kansas! Look forward to my pictures after the trip. Although, you may get them sooner, considering that I now have a laptop!!!
Will post pics of the haircuts later.
Sunday, August 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)













2 comments:
A couple of suggestions for your trip...Borrow a GPS from someone. They are awesome and make a world of difference getting around in an unfamiliar area...especially getting out Kansas City! I will let you borrow my power inverter for your rental car, if you don't have one. That way you can plug in your computer and always have power! Also, do you have a portable DVD Player for Addy? If not, you can take mine. It is still all packed up from our trip top San Diego, so it is ready to go! Hope you have a GREAT time! I am jealous that I can't go with, but maybe next time!
MerriLynn - thanks for the suggestions! Brian and I both have GPS on our cell phones. Brian uses it all the time when he is trying to find houses. I do have a portable DVD player. In fact, I think that we have two - but we never use them when we travel. I always download a couple of new movies to the girls ipods when we go somewhere. That way they don't fight over what movie to watch, etc. I love their Ipods!!! She also has a nintendo DS, so she should stay pretty entertained! I do need a power supply cord for my computer though. The battery does not last long! So if I could borrow yours, that would be great!!!
Post a Comment