Since we moved into this house a little over a year ago, we have had a rat living in the center of the giant palm tree in our back yard. Every night, when it would start to get dark, you would hear it rustling in the tree - and sometimes you could catch a glimpse of it.
Once, our dog, Eddie, even caught it. The rat had climbed behind the extra fridge we keep on the patio. Eddie, squeezed back there and caught it. He pulled it out, and was shaking it. The rat literally screamed. I have never heard anything like that before in my life. I was freaking out. But the rat got away, and ran up the wall into the tree. As it climbed up the wall, it's big, fat tail snaked up the side. The whole episode was so traumatic, that afterwards, I had to run inside and throw up!
Since, the dogs have tried several times, unsuccessfully, to catch the rat. People who came over would sit outside to try and catch a peak of it. Brian would on the patio with his BB gun late at night and try to shoot it. The missionaries came over and climbed up in the tree to try and scare it out. The boy's had been planning all winter of ways to catch it when they came to visit us in the summertime. Brylee called it our "pet rat". That rat had become a legend around our house!
Well, yesterday, I went outside to read the newspaper and Eddie saw the rat. He chased it and it ran into the grape vine on the wall. He hunted around for it, for a long time. I didn't really pay any attention to him, because this was pretty much a daily routine.
Then, he came and plopped the dead rat at my feet. I screamed. Eddie was so very proud!
I am very relieved that the rat is finally gone. But I am also a little sad. It was a very great conversation piece!!!













7 comments:
SICK.
That is all.
Good riddance all the same I am sure!
My heck, that is huge. I bet your glad to get rid of the rat. I would be...Gross
They are not uncommon here. They are called roof rats. They usually build nest under the tiles on the roof. But this one lived in the palm tree. We could have called an exterminator... but Brian insisted on killing it himself.
I think I would freak out if I had one of those in my roof! I can't stand a little mouse, let alone a huge rat! You are great to have that kind of patience to let Brian kill it, I would have called an exterminator!
Thank you for those LDS sites. You can list yours on LDS Listings too, if you want. Thanks again.
Okay, so that's just worse than gross! I'm with Jodi - I don't like rodents, big or small. Conversation piece or not, I'll bet you're glad it's dead.
Post a Comment