Saturday, November 1, 2008

Differences Between Utah and Vegas

We have lived in Las Vegas for about eight months now. I have never before lived outside of Utah. Make that, I have never lived outside of a SMALL town in Utah.

I never in my wildest dreams thought that we would end up here in Las Vegas, Nevada. Whenever we would visit here, I would wonder, "Why would anyone want to live in Las Vegas?". I really didn't want to move here, but I had to do what was best for my family. I was SURE that I wouldn't like it.

Much to my amazement, it has turned out that we LOVE it here! There are much fewer differences than I thought there would be, and most of them are not that bad.

I have to say I LOVE the convience of living here, that there are 2 Walmarts, a Target, Kmart, Kholes, Fashion Bug, 2 Ross Dress For Less', 5 grocery stores, Old Navy, Borders, Barnes and Noble, Little Ceasars, Olive Garden, and MUCH more, within 5 miles of our house. At the same time, we live in a GREAT neighborhood. As weird as it sounds, we feel miles away from the "city".

We have been down to the strip only a couple of times since we have moved here. There is just no appeal. It is so weird to watch the news or read the newspaper and hear about celebrities going to red carpet events or night clubs that are literally 15 minutes away. It is just so surreal. It feels like the strip, tourism, and all the visions people have when they think of Las Vegas, are a world away.

And have I mentioned the weather? I LOVED that my girls could go trick or treating without having to wear a snowsuit under their costumes. And while it is now to cold to swim in the pool without the heater on, we can comfortably sit outside at night. We haven't even had to break out a light jacket yet.

Being Mormon outside of Utah is a little weird. Here, everyone doesn't just assume your a "member" like they do in Utah... and no one really cares if you are or not. Only two other houses on our street are occupied by Mormon families. It is funny when we go to church and hear them talk about how big their ward is. It is small compared to our past wards. Especially the primary. There are 4 kids in Adalyn's primary class, and 4 in Alysa's. They each make number 4. It is really nice, because you feel like you really get to know everyone.

We have full time missionaries assigned to just the boundaries of our ward. It is weird to us because they are at our church every Sunday and really get to know each member of the ward. They come over to our house often. Probably once a week. We feed them dinner alot, and they just stop by to say, "hi" when they are in our neighborhood. They are so cute with our kids, and the girls just LOVE them.

AND there is so much to do... Museums, Orchards, a zoo, many parks. We LOVE the library next to our house, and the water park at the YMCA. It is really hard to get bored here.

There are some downsides to living here too. Someone tried to steal our van a couple months ago. We HAVE to lock the doors EVERY time that we leave the house. I have to take the girls to school every morning, because they don't bus and it is just to dangerous for them to walk. I can't go out after dark by myself, whether it be jogging or to grab some groceries.

Overall, we really love it here. But I think that we would love it anywhere where we are together as a family. I just thought it would be fun to list the differences. And to let everyone know, living in Vegas is a whole lot different than vacationing in Vegas!

No comments: