The bus ride was about two hours, and took us right into the heart of London. We were able to see a few cool sights from the windows along the way - including the some of the building they are constructing for the next Olympics. From the bus station, we caught a cab to our hotel room.
We checked in, climbed about a million steep, narrow steps (elevators and escalators are something of a scarcity in England), and took our bags into our room. Upon first seeing our room, I almost wanted to laugh! It was so tiny! And the bathroom was even smaller. I really thought that I would never find a bathroom more tiny than the bathroom we had in our room on the cruise ship in Hawaii, but this one had it beat. I literally could have sat on the toilet, showered and brushed my teeth a the same time. But the room, was clean, bedbug free, and fairly cheap - so I wasn't complaining!
After dropping our bags off, we headed out to see the Tower of London. One, of the nicest things about London is that the public transportation system is awesome! It's impossible to walk to far without running into a underground station. We found it was easiest to buy an Oyster card - which is basically a prepaid subway ticket. For a flat rate, you can ride the subway as many times as you want using the Oyster card - we bought two days worth of Subway passes.
The Tower of London was amazing!!! Once again, we rented an audio tour - it was very much worth it! I think my favorite part was seeing the crown jewels. Especially the part where I almost got kicked out because I failed to notice the sign that said you couldn't take pictures. :)
Anyway... if anyone wants to know more about the Tower of London here is a awesome link: http://www.hrp.org.uk/toweroflondon/
The Tower of London
The White Tower
Changing of the Guard in front of the building where the Crown Jewels are housed.
A memorial sculpture to all those who were executed (beheaded) on the tower green including Anne Boylen, Catherine Howard and Lady Jane Grey.
Tower Bridge, the Major of London's Residence, Shakespeare's Globe Theatre, Saint Paul's Cathedral Random Buildings, Cleopatra's Needle, The London Eye, Houses of Parliament and Big Ben
After getting of the boat, we walked down to Buckingham Palace. The flag was raised, so it meant the Queen was in residence that night!














No comments:
Post a Comment