Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Family History

I know that I have not posted in a while, but really nothing to eventful has happened. A couple of weekends ago I took the girls to our super crappy Las Vegas zoo. I have a couple of pics - but I need to get some new batteries for the camera before I write a post about that super un-cool experience. BUT, a new goal came out of that trip. I vow that sometime, this year, I will take all six of my kids to Hogle Zoo. I can't say enough times how much Las Vegas zoo sucks.

Just this last weekend, Brian went to Cedar City to help our good friend Jeremy and Jenn Finney move. He was gone for just two nights, but for Alysa that was a lifetime. She cried both nights he was gone and had to wear one of her dad's shirts to bed, both nights, because she missed him so much. Good thing that we are never getting divorced, because I could seriously not deal with that drama on a nightly basis.

While Brian was gone, me and the girls just chilled at home. The weather was crappy, and funds ar low so we did a whole lot of nothing. I did sign up for a free ancestry.com trial. I can already tell that the whole family history thing is going to become an expensive habit. I have been doing most of my research between the LDS familysearch.org, and google. But ancestry.com has opened alot of doors. They have so much more information to offer!!! AND they have a lot more historical documents and personal histories just a mouse click away. Really, this site make my life ALOT easier when it comes to researching family history!!! Just a day or two before I signed up, I was telling my mom about how it takes literally ALL day of research to find just one little thing (which is why I only let myself get started on the weekend, after all my "chores" have been done) - but when you find that one little thing, it makes all those hours and pages of notes worth it!!! I love being able to put a STORY to a name. It just makes it so much more personal.

My biggest plea to everyone and anyone who may read this blog: WRITE your life DOWN! I know it doesn't seem exciting to us right now. I know that you are thinking, that there just isn't anything eventful that has happened to you... definitely not something someone would want to read about. You are dead wrong. I promise that it will be something that future generations WILL want to read about. They will want to get to know you - to have a story, some meaning behind the pictures. They will want to know your challenges, your heartbreaks, your dilemmas, your victories, your pleasures, your attitudes about things - as small as it may seem to us. I promise.

I can't help but think of my sister, Maren's, blog. Her husband is deployed to Iraq right now, and so she started a blog to keep all of our, and his, scattered family updated on how they are doing. It may not seem like much to her now, but how much will it mean to her kids, her grand kids, her great-grand kids? Even when she has passed on, she will have something to share. Her posterity, who never new her, will get to experience a part of her life. How cool is that?

Little things about how much your mortgage is, how much a gallon of milk is, how much a loaf of bread is... will be so fun to read even 50 years from now! What is your life like day to day? What is your job, and how do you feel about it? And we recently elected the first African American president. How did you feel about that? Did you vote for him? Why, or why not? How do you feel about it a year later? Love him or hate him, that was a monumental event!

Write it down! Everything!

Now that I am done sending you on a guilt trip - I will leave you a link for my family history blog. But first - keep in mind: my blog is not up to date with my research. I have SEVERAL more stories that need to be posted and I will, as soon as I can find the time (maybe that is what I should have been doing instead of typing this post). My Sorenson family members are going to find it much more interesting than you Brown's. But Brown's I do have somethings on Grandma Bee's side that need to be posted - Grandpa Doug's side is much harder since they are all late danish. Just be patient with me. Roberts/Marroquin's - you are going to have to be EXTREMELY patient. I have messed around with it a little but there is so much to do - I haven't even made a serious start, but I plan to get to it this summer! Also - if anyone has any info, pics, etc., please send them my way. I will also post my email.

Family History Blog: http://jessicafamilyhistory.blogspot.com/
Maren's Blog: http://marenscrazylife.blogspot.com/
Email: brianjessicaroberts@msn.com

1 comment:

About Us said...

Wow - look at you go! I'm impressed & a bit inspired to keep better track of what's going on.

Good Luck with it all :)

You know, Phoenix has a pretty good zoo if you're ever back in town... Have to admit, I'm a bit partial to the Hogle Zoo too.