
Playing with the Enemy - Gary Moore -A
"Gene Moore was a country boy who could hit a baseball a country mile. He was so good that the Brooklyn Dodgers came calling. When Gene's baseball career was interrupted by WWII, he joined the U.S. Navy, and in 1944, he found himself on a top-secret mission: to guard German sailors captured from U-505, a submarine carrying an Enigma decoding machine. Stuck with guard duty, Gene taught the enemy how to play baseball. It would be a decision that irrevocably changed his life... and maybe our national pastime. Inspired by true events, Playing with the Enemy is the story of a young man's brush with destiny during an extraordinary time in our country's history."
This book is based on true events. The author, is the main character's son. For me, that made the story even more fun and interesting. I am not a fan of baseball, and war stories usually just confuse me. Even though this book was both, it was one of the best books that I have read.
The book itself, was very well written and easy to read. The story is amazing. Even though, I have never really played baseball, I found myself really identifying with, Gene, the main character. I felt as if I was standing in his shoes. During the book I cried, I laughed out loud, and by the time I read the last page, I was inspired.
Playing with the Enemy, made it to the top of the best seller list, shortly after being printed. This is pretty impressive considering that it is Gary W. Moore first novel. This book is definitely worth reading!













No comments:
Post a Comment