Since I turned eighteen, I have regularly given blood. I like giving blood. It makes me proud to know that I am helping those who are in need. I also think it has something to do with me being grateful for all the people who donated the blood in the past. When my mom had cancer, she received ALOT of donated blood. Those people literally saved my mom's life. I like to believe that maybe I am helping save someone else's mom.
Brian, was not into the blood giving scene until when moved to Vegas. I suspect it had something to do with United Blood Services in Vegas giving away REALLY awesome gifts to their donors (like, free show tickets).
After he donated blood for the first time, they discovered that he has some super cool, rare, "magic" blood. Apparently, there is a high demand for his blood type, but not a whole lot of people have it. United Blood Services started calling him CONSTANTLY. Brian was a good sport for a while. I think he just liked the attention and feeling special, but after a while it started to get on his nerves.
So Brian hatched a plan to get them to stop calling...
He scheduled an appointment and went to donation center. As usual, he was called back and asked questions about his health history, and "risky" lifestyle behaviors. Only this time, he answered them all wrong. He told them that he had gotten a tattoo in the last year (lie), that he had shared needles with others for illegal drug use (lie), that he had had sex with both men and women for money since 1970 (lie), etc... His planned worked. They stopped calling him, and all was right with the world.
Or so it seemed...
About a month ago, Brian and I went to the MVD here in AZ to get our new drivers licenses. We both signed up to be tissue and organ donors because, that's what good people do. There's no use letting a perfectly good heart or set of eyeballs go to waste if someone can use them, right?
Today I got a letter in the mail that told me, "Congratulations" for choosing to be an organ donor. It also had a nifty little sticker for me to stick on my drivers license to let people know how cool I really am.
Brian also got a letter. Unfortunately, his was not good news. He was rejected as a candidate for future organ or tissue donations because of his medical and lifestyle history. As in, the one he LIED about back in Vegas. Apparently, there is a data base for these things.
I have been laughing ALL night. Brian, on the other hand, does not find it so amusing and is getting really annoyed that I do. I think he is jealous that I have a sticker and he doesn't.
I guess the moral of the story is: DO NOT lie on that blood donor questionnaire. It WILL come back to haunt you!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)













1 comment:
i love it
Post a Comment