Monday, December 5, 2011

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, or Seasons Greetings?

This morning while listening to my favorite radio show - Evlis Duran in the Morning (from New York) - they had a big debate on what was the most appropriate way to greet people during the holiday season, while still being sensitive to the fact that not everyone is Christian.
It got me thinking... which is almost always a bad thing.
This is our first Christmas in Arizona. Here, it seems like everything is "Merry Christmas". I'm not surprised, since there is not a very big population of non-christians, and for the fact that Arizona is one of the most conservative states in the union (In my opinion, Conservative = die hard Christian. Most of the time.). In Vegas, this was not the case.
In Vegas, there was a HUGE population of non-Christians. It's a very diverse city. I miss that. I LOVED the fact that during the winter holidays, my girls' school had both a Menorah, and a Christmas tree in the lobby of their school. I loved that they learned all about Hanukka, Christmas, Kwanza, and even Boxing Day at school. You know how most schools do a 'World Fair'? Their Vegas school did too, only it was a 'Christmas Around the World' fair. I loved that they got to learn about all different cultures. I loved that they got to learn about how even Christians celebrate the holiday differently around the world. I loved that they learned songs celebrating all the above listed holidays in choir. It was awesome! I think it makes it easier for them to accept and relate to people of all backgrounds. Best of all, NO ONE complained. Not one student, not one parent, not one teacher - because they treated each holiday equal. Even the Jahova's Wittnesses got to go spend awesome time in the library while their classes were talking about holiday stuff (Although, surpisingly, most of them opted out of that time and let their kids learn. Kudos to them.).
Ady's best friend in Vegas, Hannah, is Jewish. It was fun for her, and for me, to learn about all the exciting, and different traditions that they celebrate. Ady even wanted to be Jewish for a while because, "Jewish people have much cooler holidays than we do". I told her, "AWESOME! Guess that means I don't have to put up the Christmas tree!". She changed her mind pretty fast.
Hannuka, last year, was pretty much right at Christmas time last year. I saw Hannah's dad one day, while picking up the girls from school. Since it was during the eight days of Hannuka and he is Jewish, I wished him a "Happy Hannuka". He wished me a "Merry Christmas" in return. Nobody was offended. I felt like, we were just wishing each other the best during their individual holiday. That's how it SHOULD be.
So I guess, my thing is: WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE SO WEIRD? Really? Why? America is supposably the world's "melting pot". We have people of all religions. So celebrate them all. If your Christian, Jewish, whatever... do your thing and respect everyone else.
So, what is the proper greeting during the holidays? Well, it depends on you and what YOU believe in. If your Jewish, during Hannuka say, "Happy freaking Hannuka" If you are Christian, say "Merry freaking Christmas". If you have a friend who you know celebrates a different holiday than you do, then respect them, and give them a Merry or Happy, whatever.
Really, people. Why do we have to make this so complicated?
And now, just to make this post longer, I have one more (or a couple) thing(s) to say:
I work at Walmart (I just need to make things clear, I LOVE my job. Yep, it's Walmart, but I like it. No hating. I promise I'll post more on it later, since I know you all are dying to know.), given the nature of my job, I don't normally deal with customers on a regular basis. However, when I do, I don't wish them a Merry Christmas, a Happy Hannuka, or Happy Kwanza as they are leaving. I tell them to have a good day. A good freaking day. Why does it have to be more difficult than that?
I guess it's easy for me. I believe in everything and nothing at the same time. So, when people pressure me to go to their church, so that I can be "saved" (I've had that happen ALOT) - I just think it feels nice that someone likes me enough that they are willing to spend their idea of eternity with me. So maybe, it's easier for me, because I don't feel, um, threatened. I just feel we could all learn something from someone else. Or think of it this way, almost all religions believe in peace in harmony - in living to be the best you can be, and honoring a set of morals that will benefit the human race. So what if different shoes, fit different people... they are still good, right? So wish them a Happy freaking Hannuka, or Happy freaking Christmas.
I guess, I think, if someone is wishing you a happy ANYTHING, you should feel grateful. At least, they are not tell you to "F" off!

1 comment:

heather hedgecock said...

you are amazing and awesome jess i love it and you're right it should be that way!