Yep. Apparently, our whole family is as blind as bats. Today, we all went to the eye doctor to get a check up. I knew Ady needed a new prescription (she has had glasses for about three years now). I knew that Alysa would need glasses eventually. She has one bad eye, but at her last examine two years ago, it wasn't bad enough to require glasses. Brylee has never had an eye examine. I haven't had new glasses in about five years. It was time.
We ALL needed new glasses.
I almost didn't get Brylee an eye exam because the receptionist started telling me that I should probably go to a pediatric eye doctor because she can't read all of her letters yet. I knew that would cost a lot more, so I told her that I would just wait until fall, when she was in Kindergarten and had learned the alphabet (she knows about 3/4 of them already), to bring her in. Then the eye doctor said, that they could give her some basic tests and if there was a reason for concern they could dilate her eyes and get an accurate prescription.
They showed her the pictures. She got about half of them. But the eye doctor said that some of the pictures are hard for kids so she wanted to try something different. She showed her a chart of the E's and had her point what direction they were facing. She got the first few rows right, with no problem. Then it got funny. She was trying to cheat but uncovering the other eye a little. She was squinting. She leaned forward. She moved around. Then she just started guessing. Scarlett (the little girl I babysit) could even see that she was struggling, and was trying to secretly trying to give her the answers - which was pretty funny since the eye doctor and I were sitting closer to Scarlett than Brylee was and could see her trying to give Bry the answers. So, yep, she needed glasses. Turns out, she has worse eyes than Ady and Alysa.
Alysa, was borderline - but we decided to go ahead and get the glasses because her eyes are only getting worse.
Ady needed new glasses anyway, since her last ones broke. It was a manufacturers defect, which they were replacing for free - but only the same frames (which still had the defect and kept breaking). I was getting really sick of going in to replace them every couple of months. But her prescription had only changed slightly.
Mine, were surprisingly good. As a teenager my eyes changed so fast, that every year there was a definite difference. I probably could have gone in every few months and had a new prescription. Now that I am older they have slowed down. But there was still a slight difference... so new glasses for me too. I would love to wear contacts, but I can't. My eyes are to dry and it irritates them - especially here in Vegas. I hate glasses, but I wear them while driving - although the eye doctor insists that I NEED to wear them all the time.
So... I'll bet you can all guess where our tax refund went to. That was one expensive trip to the eye doctor!!!
When we picked the glasses up (we got the one hour service), Brylee was so funny. She kept looking around at everything. Then she said, "mom, did you know there are little holes in the ceiling?!? She was talking about the ceiling tiles. I about died laughing. On the way home, she just stared out the windows and pointed out everything. Poor girl!!! She had no idea what she was missing before!!!
To date - the only member of our family of eight who does not wear glasses is Michael. But I would be willing to bet that, that will change. Luckily, we reserved some of that tax refund to get the boys checked this summer. I KNOW that Austin and Taylor will need glasses. And maybe Michael too.
And that, is the story of the bat family.
Monday, April 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)













No comments:
Post a Comment