Friday, October 23, 2009

Hair identity crisis

So, for the last four years I have been growing my hair long. And it got long. Really long for me. It was also getting really hard to take care of. So I decided to cut it shorter.

I went to the salon the Thursday before labor day weekend (and our death valley trip). It turned out hideous. It was some weird shoulder length mullet looking mess. I kept it pulled back into a ponytail for the entire weekend. There is no pictures of this cut. It was really bad.

So, Tuesday, I went to another hairdresser (at Salon Indigo) to get it fixed. She cut it in a cute, chin length layered bob. I liked it, okay. I kept it cut like that for about two or three weeks. But, I wasn't really happy.

I went to the hairdresser (Salon Indigo), and had her whack it all the way off. Super short. It was so weird. I have had short hair a majority of my adult life - but still, I couldn't get over the feeling that four years was gone in about 45 minutes. It gave me some crazy anxiety - which is even weirder. I was always the girl that was willing to do anything to my hair. My hairdresser in high school always used me to "try out" new haircuts. I had realized what a security blanket my hair had become to me.
Anyway, I am not sure that I like it now. I wanted more of a short "messy" pixie style. But my hair is too fine, and just won't do that. I am not sure that I like it. But I am still glad I did it. I am thinking I am going to grow it out - but not grow it out just for the sake of growing it out. I want to try lots of different hairstyles in between. And maybe I will find one I REALLY like in the process. I think it will be fun and exciting!

I plan on posting pictures of all my new hairstyles. So please leave comments. BE HONEST! If you like it the best long. Tell me. I promise that you are NOT going to hurt my feelings. If you like it, tell me - if you don't, tell me. I really appreciate honestly!!!!


Long hair
Medium Hair


Short hair
Okay - not the best pic. And for the record, I am not really that weird. Maren always makes a "mean face" in her pics, and I was trying to copy her. It didn't work out so well.

3 comments:

Mandy said...

I like the short hair the best out of those pics - but the long came in a close second :)

The Roberts Family said...

Thanks Mandy! I am the same - either long or short. The in between does not look good on me! I guess that will suck if I actually grow it out again!

George Family said...

Thanks Jess for adding me. U guys have been busy! I wanted to post this comment first, to say thanks the boys will be happy to see this again and two, to tell u I like ur hair in the first pic and ur last pic u look Sassy. I wish I was brave enough to cut my hair. I bet its freeing?.