Sunday, December 28, 2008

Christmas!

We chose to stay home this year for Christmas instead of traveling to Gunnison. I miss seeing my Mom, Kirk, Reed, Josie, and all of my brothers and sisters (including in-laws - I consider them my brothers and sisters too), but I really just like to be at home on Christmas. It is too hard to drive long distances with hyper kids, trying to pack presents, then trying to re-pack them, and see every family member in the meantime.

I cooked a big turkey dinner with all the trimmings on Christmas Eve. I tried doing it on Christmas day before, but the kids never eat very well because of all the candy they get. This year we had the missionaries in our area - Elder Beatty and Elder Bitton - over to eat with us. It was really fun. I love Christmas Eve. Probably, even more than Christmas day. The kids are excited, the house is all clean, all the Christmas decorations are up, the tree has tons of presents underneath, Christmas music is playing, and it just feels like "Christmas". We always let them open one gift on Christmas Eve, which is always pajamas, but they get more excited over that one gift than anything else! Christmas day is always a let down for me, because it just feels like it is over way to fast!

Christmas morning was alot of fun. Ady and Alysa both got ipods for Christmas (that was their "big gift") and the also got games for their DS and Leapster, and alot of other little things that they wanted. Brylee got a Bike (which is so cute! She wanted a beach cruiser like mine, only red - her favorite color). She also got a Baby Alive, which she had been asking for for months (I HATE it because it now has peed all over the house) and a baby Snow White. She loves her babies.
We actually got to sleep in until 7 AM, when their internal alarm clock went off (that is when they get up for school). That was fine for me, because my internal "alarm clock" is set for the same time. However, I don't think Brian was to happy about it. He wanted to sleep in! The girls were just so excited and cute! Those few moments make all the stress and scrambling to find the "perfect gift" worth it! Brian and I, got all of the kids Rock Band for our Christmas gift to them. We have probably have more fun on it than anyone. I have a blister on my hand from playing the drums (which I must say, I am really good at). I am excited for the boys to get here, because, although, the girls have had fun with it, I know the boys will love it even more. Austin has already told me to practice up, because he is going to kick my butt when he gets here!

My mom and Kirk got all the kids a bag full of balls and sports equipment. And not just regular balls - thanks to Kirk's connections - but, the nice red and yellow balls we had in school, as well as a football, volleyball, basketball, frisbee, jump rope, a nice mesh bag to put it in, and more. Each of the kids got a bag of all of that!!! They were so excited, and I was so excited. They have been playing with those more than anything all weekend! I promised the girls that as soon as the boys got here, we would get all of our "balls" and go to the park. I am probably as excited as they are about it. We are going to have so much fun! And because we have a million (well, six) kids, we are going to be able to play alot of fun games!!! After they opened all their balls, Brian was complaining about how it was going to take him all day to pump them up, so he had better go find his big air compressor in the garage, under all his tools. Then, we opened OUR first gift from mom and Kirk - a mini air compressor! Lol! I was excited because it is perfect for pumping up, not only the balls, but the kids' mini boats, and our air mattresses! Our other gift from them was a food dehydrator. I am super excited to make dried fruit - Brian is super excited to make jerky!

Brian is leaving today to pick up his boys. I hate that we have to have two different Christmases every year. I just have to ignore my itch to clean and put up the Christmas tree for a few days longer! I am so excited for them to open their presents, though. I just know that they are going to love them!!! The boys are staying through the new year, so I have a big party planned for us. We are going to watch movies, have a Rock Band competition, play board games (thanks to Mike and Misty who game us them for Christmas - we LOVE them!), eat alot of snacks, and watch the ball drop on the big screen. I am excited! I have spent New Years Eve in Vegas (when I was in college), and in Hawaii with friends (a couple of years ago), but nothing compares to having fun and spending time with your kids - and we are lucky enough to have all six of them on New Years Eve!

Anyway... we had a GREAT Christmas! Christmas time makes me feel so grateful for all of my family: Brian, my girls, my boys, Mom, Kirk, Reed, Josie, Mike and Misty, Steve and Tina, Kiersten, Doug and Rhonda, Craig and Erika, Maren, Sammy, my Grandma Sorenson, and all of our great friends - who are just like family to us. The holiday's mean nothing without family and friends. I am also so grateful that Brian has steady work, and that I am able to be a stay-at-home mom to my girls. I have so much in my in my life! I am grateful for all of it!

1 comment:

Steven and Tanesha said...

How fun! Your girls look like they had a blast! I don't blame you for wanting to stay home for Christmas. Traveling on Christmas is a huge pain! Oh, and I love the saying on your dining room wall.