So, a weird fact about me: I like to make cookies, but I don't like to eat them. And no, not just because of the calories. I just don't really like them. So this usually means that a lot of the cookies that I make end up being given away. Lately, I have had a few people ask me for my chocolate chip cookie recipe. This makes me laugh, because I basically use the recipe on the back of the Toll House chocolate chip bag. But, I have tweaked it a little bit, to make my cookies taste and look better (there is nothing worse than those flat, greasy looking cookies). Anyway - here is my super gourmet Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe:
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour*
1 tsp baking powder *
1 tsp salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened *
1 cup granulated white sugar
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
3 tsp. vanilla extract *
2 eggs
1/2 package of Milk chocolate chips *
Combine flour, baking soda and salt in a small bowl.
Cream butter, sugars, and vanilla in a large mixer bowl. Add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in the flour mixture.
Stir in chocolate chips. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto an ungreased baking sheet.*
Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 9 - 11 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 2 minutes.
Okay - now the secrets to make sure they turn out super yummy:
* If your dough is too dry add a Tablespoon or two of milk - NEVER water.
* Always use baking powder. NEVER baking soda. Most recipes call for baking soda. It is a trick. The cookies will raise better and be more "cake like" (not mushy) if you use baking powder. It makes a HUGE difference. I almost always substitute baking soda for baking powder in all cookie recipes.
* REAL salted butter only. Do not be tempted to use margarine or butter flavored spread. It will make a very noticeable difference in the taste. Margarine is nasty, nasty, nasty. In my opinion, they should not even sell the stuff.
* Also - you need super soft butter - but not completely melted. I like to soften it in the microwave until it just starting to melt, so there is only a little melted butter from the middle of the stick. Cream your sugars with the butter while it is still warm this melts the sugar a little and it less grainy. This gives the cookies a better texture.
* Only use REAL vanilla. The imitation vanilla is crap. Yes, the imitation stuff is much cheaper but it tastes horrible. I stock up on the real stuff when we go to Mexico (which is not often) because it is super cheap there, and very high quality. Also, I know that the original recipe says 1 tsp. Use 3. Trust me.
* I always use milk chocolate chips because I think that the semi-sweet ones are just gross. I guess you could always use the semi-sweet - some people think that the milk chocolate chips are too rich.
* Put your cookie dough in the fridge until you are ready to stick it in the oven. And NEVER put cookie dough on a warm pan - make sure the pan is completely cooled. This helps the cookies bake evenly. If you leave your dough sitting out, or put it on a warm pan the dough starts to melt a little, and will make your cookies have crisp edges and too-soft centers.
Anyway, yes... it sounds like I am making something really easy a lot more complicated than it needs to be. But I promise, that these few little things make a huge difference.
And there you have it... Now, you too, can be a gourmet cookie chef! lol!
Thursday, February 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)













No comments:
Post a Comment