Before getting to the main point - I have a couple things that I need state:
1) I am absolutely proud to be an American and I love our great country.
2) I fully support our troops. Although I do not agree with this war, I recognize our soldiers who are fighting it, and I sympathize with them and their families. I am very grateful for all the brave men and women who have risked their lives to give me the freedom to live my life and voice my opinions (which are quite abundant).
Having said that, I want to say that if one more person sends me another email about our brave US troops or how bad President Obama is, I will scream. Yes our troops are brave. Yes, they have a very hard job. But it is not completely selfless act, like everyone makes it out to be. I think every one of these men and women were completely motivated to be a proud member of the US Armed Forces, every time they collect their paycheck. That's right. Being a member of the military is a CAREER CHOICE. They are paid for their service to our country with a paycheck, paid living expenses, paid education, great benefits and excellent retirement - as they should be. I absolutely, think they deserve credit for what they do - but in the same way that a doctor deserves credit for saving lives on a daily basis, or a garbage man deserves respect for taking away our trash, or a teacher for teaching our children, or parents for raising good, wholesome members of society, etc.
To the best of my knowledge, not one person was drafted into this "war on terror". This means that every single person who has been called to fight, knew that that this was the risk he was taking when he chose military as a CAREER.
So please, by all means, support our troops. Send them packages, letters, and your love - because they need it. It is a hard job, and they deserve respect for what they do. But please remember, that everyone who serves us whether it be our gardener, postal worker, teacher or sidewalk sweeper deserves that respect too.
Also - do not be so foolish to as to think that supporting our troops means supporting this war.
Secondly - it is time we stop pointing fingers at our leader for the state of our economy. We can be mad a credit lenders, and at Bush, etc. for creating this mess. We can be mad at Obama for not having it all cleaned up yet. But what good will it do? We are just passing the buck.
We are in this mess because everyone, EVERYONE - our country, big corporations, small businesses, and individual citizens - were spending, spending, spending and living beyond our means. I suggest that every single person in this country point a finger at themselves. How many of us saved for a rainy day? How many of us were living beyond our means? Maybe credit was lended to easily - but it was our choice to accept and use credit that we knew we couldn't afford. Maybe losing a job was beyond your control - but how many of us had saved money for such an emergency? Each one of us is accountable for ourselves. Instead of sitting back and complaining about how this isn't getting fixed faster, I think we should all start fixing it ourselves. Those of us who are smart will use this as a learning opportunity.
So I guess that the whole point is: STOP SENDING ME YOUR US TROOPS/OBAMA JUNK MAIL. Maybe this makes me a "hardcore liberal" or "unpatriotic". I don't care. Think what you want. Just stop crowding my inbox with political nonsense.
Sorry it took me so long to get to the point!
Thursday, September 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)













1 comment:
Very well written!!
Post a Comment